Wednesday, August 26, 2009

How to Measure Your Blog Visitors

blogging.jpg Blog image by BodyBalanceforPerformance

“How to Measure” is kind of misleading, because all I’m doing here is giving you two links.   

The first link is to Sitemeter, where you can get a free account that will show how many visitors you have and where they’re from. 

Sitemeter will also tell you how long people spend at your blog.  Don’t be dismayed, as I was, if you see that many visitors stay for 0 seconds.  I was told by a service fellow to ignore this.  The program can only measure duration when someone clicks over to a second page, thereby giving it a bookended period of time.  

At least, that’s what I think he said.  Bottom  line:  Not to worry.   No one stays for 0 seconds.

z103808365.png Read ma blog image by icons_rox_my_sox

You can also track visitation for the week, month, and year on your free account at Sitemeter.  And if you want, you can pay for additional services.  Thanks to Hazel at The Clever Pup for telling me about Sitemeter.     

Ireadyourblog.jpg I read your blog image by miss_niner

You might also be interested in a site called Page Rank Checker.  This site checks page rank. 

What is page rank?  It’s a numeric value that’s supposed to measure “how important” a site is on the Web, as calculated by Google.  This is measured by how many sites link to yours.

Blogging.jpg blogging image by obscurepoet

Page rank appears as a number from 1-10 and shows up like this:  1/10 through 10/10.  I don’t know any sites that have 10/10.  Maybe Google does.  Mine has a rank of 4, which I believe is average to good for a blog as old as mine.   

♥♥♥

16 comments:

Imogen Lamport, AICI CIP said...

Thanks for the helpful tips! I'll have to see how my page ranks!

Imogen Lamport, AICI CIP said...

Sallymandy - your link to page rank checker is pointing to The Clever Pup!

ethelmaepotter! said...

Thank you so much for this helpful hint! I will check these sites out today!

angela recada said...

Hello,
I've finally had a moment to catch up on several past posts on your blog. You always post such interesting tidbits of information and!
:0)
I use sitemeter, but had stopped looking at the stats because the "0 seconds" always annoyed me. Thanks for the explanation. I'll have to take a look at it again.

I don't think I've seen you recently at my blog, have I?
;0)
Take care,
Angela

Bonnie Zieman, M.Ed. said...

Sallymandy: An informative post. I did not know about page ranker. On some blogs it could be page rankor, but I digress.

I always enjoy coming here and missed you when you were away on vacation. I love the calm feeling I get from the blue and brown background on your blog. Love those colors together. I kind of have them in reverse on mine.

sallymandy said...

Imogen: thanks for pointing that out. I fixed it just now.

Ethelmae: you're welcome!

Angela: Thank you, and no, I haven't been over for far too long. That's where I'm headed now...

Thanks, Bonnie. Color makes such a difference in how we experience things. I loved this background for the same reasons you mentioned.

Darla said...

I have sitemeter but I keep forgetting about it. When I first had it I checked it all the time. Mostly to know where folks were from.

Darla

Unknown said...

I use blogpatrol.com :)

Lucy said...

Great info! I don't think I should get this though cause I just might become too obsessed-lol!

Rosaria Williams said...

Sallymandy, remind us again why we want to know how many people visit? I'm enjoying the experience just the way it is. If I knew about numbers, I might begin to panic. No. This is not a job.

sallymandy said...

Lakeviewer: good point! I'm posting these links because a couple people wanted to know after yesterday's post.

I like to know who I'm connected to. If I didn't have this measurer, I'd be all obsessed with how many FOLLOWERS I have!

Frugal Scholar said...

I can confirm that I spent more than 0 seconds here.

sallymandy said...

Such a jokester, Frugal! I'm glad you stayed longer than that.

garage sale girly said...

thanks so much for the helpful hints on the site meter!!

ceecee said...

Hi Sallymandy -
Thinking about your moving...these kinds of changes are way up there on the stress meter. Listening to music would be a stress reliever for me. Lots of rock and roll.

And as for Site meter - It's kind of scary to me. I have one but only look at where people come from and how many visitors I've had. It gives me the creeps, actually. But I dislike the Followers Widget the most. So high-school. Stupid. But I feel obligated to show it. And I don't want anything to do with Facebook and Twitter. Can you even believe I blog? Ha ha!
Breathe in that mountain air and have a good weekend, Sallymandy.
Catherine

Anonymous said...

It isn't hard at all to start making money online in the underground world of [URL=http://www.www.blackhatmoneymaker.com]blackhat internet marketing[/URL], It's not a big surprise if you haven’t heard of it before. Blackhat marketing uses alternative or misunderstood avenues to generate an income online.